Wednesday, March 19, 2008

2nd Point

As my second point, I believe it is important to discuss the privacy that is being invaded by the government while wiretapping. While the government is trying to wiretap into an alleged terrorists, they also intercept 1,000 phone calls that they don't need. This is a violation of American's privacy. In 1994, one million calls were inadvertantly wiretapped into.

The government is using this method to find alleged terrorists, however how does the government know if they are terrorists? How do they know if they are tapping into the right calls? The phone companies were invading people's privacy by giving the list of phone numbers called by a specific phone.

The government is getting too much of a privledge to invade people's privacy and the thought is that the government is going to take advantage of this privledge. In the matter of ten years, the percent of people being wiretapped into doubled. The usage of wiretaps is increasing tremendously.

2 comments:

Steph said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Steph said...

Hey Jen,

Sorry I havent gotten to post but it hasn't worked at all for me before today. I think your topic is very interesting and so far what I have read have all been great topics. I argree with you on your strongest topic. It is a big issue that the government is this involved, and I think that they are violating privacy. If they can do this what are they going to do next? And how much could they really have prevented 9/11 if they had listening to peoples' phone conversation. Maybe there is something I'm missing though. I completley agree with point 2. What right do they have tapping into random phone calls. That is completley unneccesary and is violating privacy.